I had a lot of fun receiving ideas for my little ETF Contest. We received over 200 submissions. They included everything from the absurd, to impossible, to hilarious, to already filed, to actually a few pretty good ideas. Below are the ideas that are non-winners and already filed funds. I imagine some of the non-winners are already funds or are filed but I am not familiar with them. It is good to see there is still a lot of innovation going on – including a robotics ETF that just launched recently.
I included a brief description if the fund concept was not clear from the name…We withheld a few I consider to be reasonable enough to think a little more about.
(Will send out the free Idea Farm winners an email this wknd…)
Entries in alphabetical order… ENJOY!
Already Exist or are Filed
- Activist ETF
- Automat-Robotics Companies ETF
- Business Development Companies ETF
- Cattle ETF
- Columbia ETF
- Covered Calls ETF
- Diamond ETF
- Emerging Market Corporate Debt ETF
- Equally Weighted Emerging Market ETF
- Foreign Shareholder Yield ETF
- Fracking ETF
- Global CAPE ETF
- Global Momentum ETF
- Natural Gas ETF
- PIGS ETF
- Risk Parity ETF
- S&P 490 (500 – top 10)
- Sovereign High Yield ETF
- Tail Risk ETF
- Uranium ETF
- Value and Momentum ETF
- Vice ETF
- 5x long or 5x short ETFs
- Adult Film & Toys ETF
- Anti-Green energy ETF
- Apple Supplier’s ETF
- Bad Corporate Management Short ETF- this would be filled with stocks where management have been poor stewards of shareholder capital. Poor acquisitions, waste money on exec perks, and poor all around decisions.
- Brand Index ETF
- Capital Efficiency Company ETF
- Commodity Spreads ETF/ETN – gold/silver, energy crack spread, feeder cattle/live cattle, bean crush, etc.
- East Africa ETF
- Geothermal stock ETF
- Global Engineering Company ETF
- Global Exchanges ETF – An ETF that tracks only Exchanges globally not brokers and banks. Not just CME, ICE or NYX, but also BME.MC, DB1.DE, BOLSAA.MX and so on.
- Inverse 3X ETF Market – Shorts all the 3X ETFs.
- Iran ETF
- Lumber ETF
- Micro loan ETF
- Momentum ETF – rebalanced monthly.
- Non-durable Goods ETF – An ETF linked directly to companies involved in very short-term non-durable goods (perishable goods) like fruits, vegetables, meat and dairy products. These products have a very fast response to inflation, demographic trends and income.
- Obamacare Failure ETF – An ETF that includes the 50 businesses that will benefit most by Obamacare failing to be implemented.
- Owner-operator ETF- This ETF would have companies where the execs have a large percent ownership in the company.
- Palm Beach Real Estate ETF
- Political Return ETF – This ETF would be filled with the top holdings of our esteemed congressmen.
- Recession ETF- these stocks would do well in a recession, or at least outperform the market.
- Sharia Law compliant ETF
- Single Family homes REIT ETF
- Sovereign Wealth ETF
- Sports betting strategy ETF
- Sports Franchises ETF
- Tiki Time ETF – An ETF that includes at least 50 businesses engaged in the resurgence of tiki drinks. This includes Alcohol companies (especially Rum), agriculture (sugarcane/molasses), restaurants, art galleries, and any other businesses benefiting from the craze.
- Too Big to Fail ETF- This ETF would be filled with companies which are too big to fail.
- Unemployment Rate ETN